Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Faith, Hope, and Charity

There are so many things that I've been meaning to write about. So many thoughts, too little time. Recently though, I've started watching Glenn Beck on Fox News. Usually, I don't get into politics, but the things that have been happening lately have been worrisome enough to me for me to watch Glenn Beck every day and look up some of the stuff that he's talking about. The part that I find even more interesting is how to fix the problems that we have. Mainly, he subscribes to faith, hope, and charity as the general principles that will help guide us back to safety, along with individual rights, equal justice, knowledge of the Constitution, love of our Founding Fathers, and faith in God.

The reason that I find the solutions to the problem interesting is because no matter what you think the problem with our country is, if we go to these principles, I think we'll find our answers. Also, these principles are simple solutions. They are not the complex solutions that Congress and the White House try to bring with 2,000 page bills that no one has really read. These simple principles, particularly faith, hope, and charity, are easy to define and understand. I don't think it's too much to ask for our laws to be easy to define and understand.

One of my favorite days on the Glenn Beck show is Friday because Fridays are Founding Fridays, where Beck talks about one of the Founding Fathers. Now, I love history so I love hearing about these men and how the influenced our country. I'm sad that I don't remember more about them from school because they are truly inspired men who were incredible and had a great vision of what this country should and could be. They were not perfect, but what I love about them is that they tried to live the best they could according to their faith in God.

I scribble down every book about these men that Beck recommends that were written by historians, and I wish that I had the money to buy every one of them. What I love about history is that the truth is the truth. When you have the facts, and when you look at what people actually said, in their own words, you can see why things happened the way they did, whether the consequences were intended or not. Unfortunately, there are those who try to "rewrite" history by giving a skewed perspective on it; telling only one side of the story. When we narrow our scope of vision, we miss out on the big picture. Looking at the other side does not necessarily mean that you have to believe that side, but at least you know what it is.

No matter what we believe in, when we come together with faith, hope, and charity, we can find solutions for the problems we face. We may not always agree on the way there, but we need to find the truth and come together for a solution.

No comments: