Saturday, June 4, 2011

It's About Time!

Yesterday I went in for surgery to get my tear fixed. For those who don't know, I tore my labia when I had David and the stitches the doctors put in it then didn't hold. So essentially, I had a labial separation. It's been a long and hard battle getting someone to approve getting it fixed. For some idea of how long and hard, it took 3 doctors and appointments over 3 months to find someone who said, "Oh yeah, that should be fixed." In any case, I got it done yesterday!

It was pretty entertaining actually since I didn't want to be put asleep or have any drugs besides the local anesthesia. Yeah, I might be crazy, but there was no way that I was getting put asleep for a minor procedure and I wasn't going to hang around in the hospital for a couple hours just so I could wake up. It was mostly the attending doctor who freaked out the most about that. In the end, I did end up having some medication to take the edge off when they were putting in the local anesthesia. Other than that, it was a while of laying down with my legs in the air in an uncomfortable position while I heard the doctors and nurses talking on the other side of the blanket curtain they had put up. I couldn't see anything since they had me take out my contacts, but there wasn't much to see anyways. I would have only been able to see the blanket in front of me and it was close enough anyways to be able to see without aid.

The entertaining part came into play because obviously they aren't used to people being awake while they do the procedure. I know this because a couple times the doctor doing the stitching would push against my leg with her body to get a better angle and I heard the attending say, "Remember, she's awake." It was also pretty funny when they popped their heads around the curtain when they were all done to tell me how well I did. The attending even added that she was surprised at how well I did. Apparently all those comments from my brothers to "suck it up" paid off.

So now I get to go through the healing process again. This time, however, the doctor is going to keep better track of my healing. I have an appointment at 1 week and again at 3 weeks. Here's to speedy and correct healing so I don't have to go through this again!

4 comments:

Mom/Paula/Grandma P said...

Amen to your speedy healing! Sorry you had to go through such a fun procedure...

Anjanette said...

I just can't believe it took so long for them to finally do it over. Excited to see you guys later.

Janis said...

Persistence pays off! Sometimes a gal just has to keep pushing to get things done. I'm glad that they're going to recheck you a couple of times.

Michelle Walkenhorst said...

Goodness! I can't believe they took that long. So glad that you've gotten that taken care of. Hope you have a quick recovery!!