Friday, November 30, 2012

Crafts

This year, I decided to get all crafty and crochet hats for a bunch of people that wanted one. I spent hours online looking at patterns that I liked and I've made a grand total of 14 hats. I'll probably make a few more to cover Neal's ever growing head and I still need to make a warmer hat for myself. I used a variety of patterns and one hat I made up on my own because I'm too cheap to buy patterns.

Then I was lamenting the fact that I don't have any soft rattles for Neal because they are impossible to find. So, I thought of this rattle we used to have growing up and realized that I could crochet my own! So I did, after some trial and error. It's not perfect, but it looks a whole lot better than my first attempts that I never finished because I didn't like the looks of them. I did find a pattern for an owl rattle that I absolutely love and I do plan on making. First, however, I have a different sort of craft to finish.

Last year, I decided that I was going to sew Christmas stockings for our little family. I figured it wouldn't take too long and I bought a bunch of fabric to that end. Yeah. I only made one that year. It took way longer than I thought it would and now I wish I had just bought stockings. However, I have the fabric and I have enlisted Ashton's help so they will hopefully be done this year. Turns out, I'm not a huge fan of all the things that go into sewing something. You can't just sit down with fabric and sew. Nope. You have to cut out the fabric into the desired shape, pin the pieces together, figure out what needs to be sewed first, then you can sit down and sew something. I like to just be able to pick out yarn and sit down with it to create whatever I want. I have decided to put crocheting on hold though until I finish the stockings. That should be motivation enough right?

I also love the fact that with crocheting, I can pick it up or put it down whenever I need to and it's not really a big deal. I also love that I can look up tutorials online. Seriously, there are so many videos and tutorials online that if you want to learn how to crochet, you can do it easily. It also keeps David entertained because he loves to play with my crochet hooks. Taking them out of the case and putting them back in the slots. No need for toys this year I guess.

I have new ideas for things I want to create and I'm so excited to get back to crocheting so I can put my ideas to the test. Just need to finish those stockings!


1 comment:

Janis said...

It's great that you have found a hobby that you really like and find interesting. When you come home, you'll need to go visit Sister Evelyn Mitchell. She crochets tons of stuff each year.