Wednesday, January 14, 2009

A Leaf on the Wind

I was staring at our blog page, trying to think if I had anything worth writing a post about, when the title of our blog caught my eye, "I Am A Leaf On The Wind." I started to think about the different ways that could be taken. Some might say that it means wishy-washy-ness; going with whatever society deems as correct at the time because let's face it, society changes its mind so often that it's enough to give anyone a headache trying to keep up. However, as I was thinking about how it could be applied to life in general, I saw the concept in a different light.

Life takes us in all sorts of directions through trials and blessings. Sometimes it feels like I have to forge my own path through the muck and grime and in the past year, I've done my fair share of forging. It's common to think of life as a path. I often do so with the "straight and narrow way" in mind, but then I started thinking about how trials can be compared to as winds.

Sometimes, trials are a gentle breeze that just come gently to us, reminding us of our testimonies and strength. Other times, there's no wind or breeze; just the gentle, peaceful calm. These moments are wonderful, particularly after or before a storm. There are many more types of winds, howling, gusting, stormy, etc, just as there are many types of tribulations. It's hard to say what the best way to deal with wind is, but as I was thinking through my little analogy, I thought about what a leaf does in the wind.

A leaf simply goes where the wind takes it. It allows the wind to take it to a new destination that the leaf would never have been able to go on its own. The leaf may do a few little tricks in the air on its way, somersaults and the like, but it doesn't resist the wind. Perhaps it gets a little torn on the way, but I'm sure it's a better leaf for it.

2 comments:

Kaity Hall said...

Sad, pathetic nerd that I am, I read the title of your blog and immediately thought of Joss Whedon's movie Serenity, the continuation of his cancelled show Firefly...but that's just me, the dorky, Joss Whedon junkie... ;p

Zarah said...

Actually that is where it came from. My husband is very much into the "Firefly" series and "Serenity" as well.