Saturday, August 7, 2010

Happenings Around These Parts

Big things are happening in our house. We're having a baby! The due date is February 19, but I tend to just say that the due date is in February so as not to get attached to a certain date that the baby is coming on. As everyone knows, babies come when babies come. For those who are curious, we both would be happy with either a boy or a girl (since I'm 12 weeks along, it'll be a little while before we find out the gender), but Ashton thinks (not to be confused with "hopes") it's a girl, and I think it's a boy. No real rhyme or reason to our thinking.

We're very excited about having a baby, although, I was less thrilled about the morning sickness part. The sickness has been subsiding though and I got to enjoy sick free days for the most part this week. Hallelujah! I'm still expecting to have a few days where I feel horrible, the whole "it gets worse before it's better" thing.

So yesterday, I had my first appointment with the midwife. Ashton came along with me, which was nice. Most of the appointment was spent filling out paperwork and talking, but then we got to do the more fun things. The most exciting part was that we heard the baby's heartbeat! It definitely brought a smile to our faces. It took a minute to find the little guy and when the midwife found him/her, baby decided to disappear for a few seconds. Not to worry, we found baby again and got to listen to the heartbeat. There's nothing like hearing that your baby's heartbeat is strong and fast. Of course, I did enjoy hearing the midwife comment on how good my ab muscles were.

9 comments:

Mandy said...

so excited for you guys! Can't wait to meet the little fellow (yes, I think it's a boy! :))

Unknown said...

Congrats thats exciting!

Megan and Sean said...

YEA!! Congrats! Kiss those abs goodbye though! Just kidding! *wink, wink* I looked super after I had Alanna-better then before I had her (lost 15+ lbs from starting weight) then I had Dallin. Then Embree. Then Trew. Babies are way better then good abs!! Congrats again!

Emily S. said...

Very exciting!! Congrats!

Anjanette said...

We are so excited for you guys. I love hearing the heart beat for the very first time. It just makes it so real that there is a little one in there. I don't think anyone will be commenting on my abs, just too much squishiness ;) It would be mean if they said something.

Tara said...

Congrats! We had gotten a "heads up" so to speak a few weeks earlier - okay, maybe as much as a month earlier - but I didn't want to say anything until you broke the news! After all - it is yours to share! We are very, very excited for you guys and though morning sickness really sucks, the best part is knowing that means you've got a strong pregnancy!

Good luck with the rest of it - and hopefully the morning sickness goes on vacation!

Janis said...

I have always been so fascinated thinking about the baby's development inside the mom. Hearing the heartbeat and feeling the movements made me feel so close to Heavenly Father. What a spiritual experience to create a body for a spirit to dwell in.

Anonymous said...

Love the announcement and seriously love the compliment on the abs!

Jen Bowen said...

So I'm really behind on reading posts. Congrats you two! I'm so excited. It'll be so fun to see you two become parents.