Sunday, March 23, 2008

Saving the World, a Day at a Time

It occurred to me that nobody really knows what I do all day. Perhaps an image can offer a bit more explanation than I can.

Every month, my employer hosts a contest. I work for a company called DAZ 3D, which specializes in three-dimensional computer models, and the software to bring those models to life. I work on the software side, lacking any real kind of artistic talent.

The theme for this month's contest is "Heros! Men to the Forefront!" Without explicit permission, here is one of my favorite entries so far (entered by DAZ 3D forum member Bad_Kittie):
Every couple of months, we release a new version of the program used to put that image together. So far, I've mainly worked on the user-interface for it (buttons, labels, and so forth). Eventually, I'd like to understand the math behind the actual rendering process (converting 3D coordinates to a two-dimensional view port, making light reflect correctly, etc.), but for now that's a bit over my head.

No comments: