Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Books

I always knew that I got into things that I'm doing, particularly watching movies and reading books. I knew that if I watched a scary movie, I'd be inevitably clinging to the person next to me, freaking myself out more than the movie was. I still don't watch scary or intense movies because of this fact even though I know have Ashton around to cling to. I remember the first time watching such a movie with him and surprising him at how tight my grip was.

I knew that I got into books as well, displaying my emotions out loud whether or not there's someone else in the room. I even go so far as to mumble my opinions of the plot and/or characters at any given moment. I'll shut the book at intense parts, not wanting to go further until I've calmed down, but then I have to know what happens so I whip open the book again and read on, tense with anticipation. It's all so stupid, but I can't seem to help myself.

Well, for Ashton's birthday, I bought him a couple of books, one being the book Twilight by Stephenie Meyer in audio form. I had foolishly thought that it'd last him a while if he only listened to it while in the car on the way to and from class. Yeah, I didn't count on getting into it myself and making us listen to it almost every night and while we were in the car. By the end of Saturday night, we had gotten to the 6th CD out of 11. We skipped Sunday and anxiously, we started listening to it again yesterday. Well, we finished it last night at 2 in the morning.

Both of us listened to it in the car, me on the my way to Nate and Anjanette's, and Ashton on his way to his class. We were both pretty anxious to listen to more and we started in again while we ate dinner. We probably would have stopped after the 8th CD, but by then it had gotten particularly intense. I found myself half sitting in Ashton's lap as that CD ended, grabbing his shirt. After partway through the CD, Ashton wouldn't let me hold his hand anymore. My death grip had hurt his hand so he offered me his arm only for me to discover that I had left some serious imprints on his arm from me gripping it so tightly with both hands. We're talkin' some good dents where you could rub your fingers over it and tell the difference between his arm and where I had grabbed it. I guess I just don't know my own strength.

Anyways, I knew I could be able to sleep if we stopped there so we listened to the next CD, too. I tried to control myself and not hurt Ashton by accident with my super human strength. (Snicker all you want, the next time I watch or listen to something scary, I'll grab your arm.) We continued until 2 AM because I had to keep listening until the story had resolved itself and by then we were almost done so we just finished it up.

So now, I don't know what to do with myself. We bought the books and those won't come in until next week. So, I guess until then, I'll just twiddle my thumbs or try to start a different book.

9 comments:

Anjanette said...

I knew it wouldn't take you to long to finish it up. They are addicting. I don't know what I did by ordering the 4th book. I don't have time to neglect my family like I often do when I'm into an intense book.

Anonymous said...

So, I typically swear off any fiction that's on the "circuit"; but, I bought this one. Okay, I bought it after reading a negative review about it. I have to know what all the buzz is for...or not.

I'm a little nervous. I just know I'll get sucked in. Not a good thing while there's only one parent around.

Tara said...

Oh jeez girl...I finished all three in the last three days. It's horrible. I just love that stupid vampire too much...its not healthy! haha. And I feel for Ashton...I don't like death grips! XOXO

Anonymous said...

Alright!! Now I'm SUPER curious about this book! I've picked it up three times today but keep chickening out. My house is way too messy to get sucked into a book right now.

Dangit! :)

Anonymous said...

You're fired!

Zarah said...

haha Sorry! If you pay for my flight, I'll come clean your house for you! ;)

Anonymous said...

Don't kid me like that. It's cruel I tell you...cruel! And I just know Ethan is going to say something about it when he gets home tomorrow. Little nerd.

If it gets much messier I may need to call up Amaryah and order some beer. That family discount may very well come in handy. ;)

Jen Bowen said...

Hehehe. This brings back memories of watching The Glass House and Red Eye together. It's a bad combination to have 2 people together who freak out so much. I guess it makes things more fun? Probably not for Ashton's arm though...Good luck waiting for the books. After Tara's and your blogs I may have to try reading these books.

Anonymous said...

Have you ever read a Junie B. Jones book? I got a few for Ethan and I'm hooked. Something about the appeal of a sassy first grader I don't have to raise.

Wierd.