Thursday, August 28, 2008

Home Sweet Home

After a nice week and a half trip up to Maine, we're back home again. It's kinda nice to be home, even if that home is in Utah. We hadn't been able to make it back to Maine in what seems forever (it's really only been a few months over a year).

It was probably the longest Ashton's gone without working for a long time and he was a bit hesitant/nervous about it at first. After we left Utah though, he seemed to feel better about it. It probably helped that I drove the whole way there since we took my car instead of his stick-sift car. So, he got to read the whole way while I abused his poor ears with my singing. I even got him to admit that I was right about needing the vacation. He has a hard time admitting when I'm right sometimes and needs a little cooxing, even though I'm usually right.

I had a hard time leaving, thinking of probably every excuse possible to stay. Probably could have paid Jacob to slash the tires or something, but every vacation has its end I guess and Ashton had to go back to work. If plane tickets weren't so darn expensive, I might have considered staying longer while Ashton went back.

At any rate, we had some good adventures, definitely way too many to all be shared here although I wouldn't have to think of a new topic for a post for a long time. Our adventures included, but not limited to a trip around Maine with Grammy and Grampa, a trip to see Nana, kayaking on a lake, swimming with Jared and Siiri, and spending a couple of nights with Jacob and Heather (just beware of the fuzzy orange juice). It was a couple month's worth of fun packed into a little over a week.

One of my favorite parts though was getting to take pictures. I (I guess I should say we because Ashton took some of the pictures) definitely took too many pictures to all fit on here, but here are some of my favorites.

We spent our first night in Maine with Jacob and Heather. The next morning Ashton woke up to being conspired against. In the end, Liliana and I teamed up to get Ashton until Liliana was comfortable enough to get him by herself. She was not so shy the next time we stayed at their house.

This is one of the pictures that Ashton took, and such a good one of James. My favorite things about this picture is that it's just such a boy picture. There's nothing more boyish than playing in the mud.

James and Sam decided that they wanted to kill all the grasshoppers on the garage wall. Emma saw what they were doing and decided to save the poor grasshoppers. It then became a game of how many grasshoppers they could save and put in the jar.
Sam hanging upside down from the play set. Pretty impressive.

We had a fun time trying to get Eliza to smile for the camera. Finally, we got a few smiles out of her and Ashton snapped away.
Wilson Lake. We had a fun time kayaking and swimming on the lake. Nothing more peaceful than a couple of days on the lake.

8 comments:

The Halladays said...

I'm glad you guys had a good time! I'm changing some things on my blog, so I need your guys email address(es) so that you can read it if you wish :)

Megan and Sean said...

Fun! I'm glad you had a good trip home.

Tara said...

Glad you had a nice time.. and sorry we didn't catch up. We'd had a whirlwind summer and ended it with the normal getting ready for school.. and this year, home school. It would have been nice, but apparently my brain went on vacation once the rest of me came out of vacation mode. Enjoy your memories!

Anjanette said...

It's so fun to go home! I'm glad you guys are back. It seems like we haven't seen you guys in forever.

Tara said...

Fuzzy orange juice? siiiiick. :) And yes, we need to talk about you-know-what soon! Heartcha! XOXO

Stinson Family said...

You both did a great job on your photos! Abby and I are looking forward to visiting Maine this fall. It was nice chatting with you Zarah today :)

Anonymous said...

Great photo's! The kids are so big!
I didn't know you were driving. Wow! That's a lot of road time.

Micah's a little homesick for Maine now too. Thanks a lot. ;)

Zarah said...

Well, we didn't drive all the way to Maine. We drove to Colorado and then flew from there to Maine. Still quite a bit of road time though. It's a 8-ish hour drive.