Thursday, November 20, 2008

Music

I had forgotten how therapeutic music is for me. I used to play the piano all the time to express my feelings. It was so much easier for me to express myself in that way than to try to find the words to do it. It was a very useful tool growing up. Even when I went to college, I tried to take as many opportunities to play as I could. There's just something so satisfying to play sad music when you're feeling down, or banging out an angry tune when the mood calls for it. Of course, I also played when I was happy, but no matter what the mood, I'd always leave the piano feeling better.

I had forgotten all that though. Sure, I still appreciate good piano music and a beautiful looking piano. We have an electric piano, which is not quite the same as a regular piano, but it does the job for now. I just haven't used it in a while. There aren't many opportunities for me to play for other people out here like I've been used to. Even still, whenever I go home, there's some opportunity for me to play the piano or organ. I've simply gotten out of the habit of practicing.

That's changed in the past few days. I've been through a lot of ups and downs the past few days and I needed an outlet. It felt amazing to let that out. The piano is even still intact. There's just no way to describe how great it feels to play through whatever mood you're in, rather than listening to music. Listening to music is great and therapeutic as well. I listen to music all day. One of the first things I do in the morning is turn on some music. It's just much more intense and satisfying when I'm actually playing the music with my own hands or even when I'm singing.

On more update-ish news, Ashton has gotten a couple of job offers. We're still wading through the options and trying to figure out what's the best route to take. It's exciting, though, that he has options.

1 comment:

The Halladays said...

WooHoo! Options! Congrats Ashton...and Zarah :)