Monday, November 22, 2010

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

During this time of year, Thanksgiving and Christmas, I try to focus on the real meaning of the holidays so as not to get caught up in the food, however wonderful it is, and buying gifts. This year, I have felt that come easily to me. Maybe it's because I have so much to be grateful for, which is true, or maybe it's because I have heard so many people talk about the need to be grateful, which is also true. In reality, it's probably a combination of the two and many other factors like this constantly kicking reminder of what I am most grateful for.

Now, I don't usually write out long lists of what I am grateful for, because I could never write a complete enough list of everything that I love and appreciate. I'm certainly not going to try to attempt the feat here. What I do want to do is to mention two things that I am grateful for that I don't usually talk about or even think about in my day to day life.

I first want to express my gratitude for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and more particularly the Atonement of Jesus Christ. I love going to church. It's such a blessing to be able to go, take the sacrament, and then be able to do my calling in Primary. The ward we are in right now has been wonderful and we're hoping when we have to move into a bigger place that we'll be able to stay in this ward. We've always been blessed with nice wards, but I don't think we've ever quite fit into a ward so nicely as we have here.

I am so grateful that I have the opportunity to take the Sacrament every week. One of my friends had to give a talk yesterday on covenants and she shared her talk on her blog. She focused a lot on the sacrament and, while I already appreciated the sacrament, I have gained a new perspective on the ordinance. I am looking forward to next Sunday to be able to take the sacrament with a new view.

I love my calling! Primary pianist is simply one of the best callings I've ever had. It's usually a thankless calling since most people don't think to be appreciative of those who can play the piano or lead music, until they don't have someone that can do those things, but I've been fine with that. The past two weeks, however, have been touching. Last week, we had our Primary program. It turned out to be a nice program and, although some last minute music was added, I was able to play everything well. A few people told me that I did a good job, including my hubby, but what touched me the most was that one of the classes in Primary took the time to each write me and the music director a card. So, I was handed 4 cards at the end of Primary that day that were made specially for me. One of the little girls was so excited to give me the card that she came up to me and told me that they had made me cards. Then she gave me a hug. Yesterday, she even came up to me and asked if I had read the cards yet, since I didn't read the right away the week before. The cards were very sweet. The two girls that were in the class wrote, "Thanks for our music. Congratulations on your baby!" The two boys were just thankful for the music. Yesterday, I also got a card from another class where they again thanked me for the music and then signed their names. It's the unexpected gifts, and the simplest, that touch me the most.

The second thing I am grateful for, is this great country and those that serve in the military. I don't express my appreciation for being born in America enough. I too often view it as a fact, almost as a right, instead of a privilege. This is a great country, full of great blessings and opportunities, as well as great responsibilities. Freedom doesn't come cheap and I am trying every day to be the person that I need to be, responsible, self-sufficient, selfless, and mastering self-control in order to be worthy of the freedoms I have been blessed with.

Those that serve in the military are incredible. I am proud of my brothers, cousins, and grandfather who have served and still do serve. They have each taught me a lot. I grew up hearing about my grandfather's war stories and I could see how proud he was to have served his country. He has taught me a lot about hard work and dedication, and I will always be grateful to him for those lessons. My brothers and cousins who have served and still serve are also great people. They work hard for their country and often for little thanks. So thank you to all those who serve in the military, but thank you especially to those I call family.

I also want to mention the family of those who serve in the military. Those wives and children that I know personally of those who serve, are amazing people. They are some of the strongest people I know as well as some of the happiest. I'm not sure I could ever be as strong and supportive as they are. I am grateful that there are people out there who are so supportive of our troops. So, thank you.

1 comment:

Janis said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings. Someone once said that until we are grateful for what we have, we will never feel that we have enough. Gratitude shows our love for our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. It puts everyting into a proper prospective. Thank you for being willing to share your musical talents. I love to listen to you play.