Monday, February 11, 2008

Fun Questions

When meeting someone for the first time at BYU, there are 3 questions that they are sure to ask: 1. What's your name? 2. What's your major? 3. Where are you from? (If they like the responses that you give a fourth question might follow to ask you out on a date. I've never experienced this.)

I almost always have to repeat myself on the first question. "Zarah" "What was that?" (more slowly) "Zarah" "Oh! Cool!" (I've only had one guy that said that he didn't like my name. He's no longer a problem.)

With the second question, I tend to get the question, "So, did you serve a mission?" (Apparently if you speak a second language and you're at BYU, you must have served a mission. A common mistake.)

The third question is my favorite by far. The responses I get are so funny to me that I have to remind myself not laugh out loud. The response is almost always the same and so I can guess what they're going to say and sometimes even say it before they can. My favorite response is, "Maine? You're a long ways from home." (Yes, I am. That was kinda the point in some regards.) It's either that or "That's far away!" (Yeah, it is kinda far huh? I'm glad you know your geography.) If I'm lucky, I get a "Really?" to which I'm kinda tempted to say, "No. Not really. I thought I'd lie to you in order to see how you'd react." (Sometime, I might have to try that.) The follow-up question is kinda tricky. Some people tend to ask where in Maine I am from. I never know, do I just give general location in North, South, East, and West, or do I actually give the town? I haven't gotten the hang of it yet. It's a question I don't get too often. I find that usually the people that I give coordinates, actually know something about Maine's geography and want the actual town. The people that know nothing about Maine's geography, I give the town. Someday I'll get it down.

1 comment:

Tara said...

Not having gone to BYU, I got the Maine question a little differently... and not so often (since it was always on vacation or visiting home during the college years)... my favorite responses:

"That's in Canada, right?"

and

"What country's that part of?"

Yeah... some geography classes are failing some people!