Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day!

Happy Valentine's day all! I hope that the "Day of Love" treats all of you well.

Now onto more fun subjects. As much as Valentine's Day is, especially when you're walking around campus watching people trying to manage carrying a bunch of flowers around with their backpacks and whatever else they might have, there are lots of other fun things to talk about. Like soccer.

Since I've come to BYU, I've really enjoyed playing on their intramural teams. During the winter, they have co-ed soccer, which is a whole lot of fun. Playing co-ed soccer means that I can be aggressive and throw my weight around fully expecting to get away with it, well, for the most part anyways. Not to mention, it's a good feeling to put some "big, tough" boys on the ground.

A few days ago, I had a soccer game. I was excited for it and left a class early to head down for the game. (I've got my priorities straight.) I got ready in a hurry and soon it's time to play. Since I've been with a cold for the past few days, I had promised myself that I would take it kinda easy. I do a pretty good job of doing that until some boy stole the ball from me. I wasn't about to let him get away with that and I go after him to take it back. Some guy on my team apparently thought that he'd help me out and as all three of us were going after the ball, I rolled my ankle with a snap. I heard it and felt it with shooting pain. It's nice to feel alive.

After falling to the ground in quite a bit of pain, they stop the game and people started gathering around me. Thankfully, my sister-in-law, who's an EMT, had come to our game. They got me off the field after a few minutes where Melissa (my sister-in-law) started taking off my shoe. Several very concerned people tried to stop her, but they backed off once we told them that she was an EMT.

By then, the pain lessened so I felt a bit better and could start making jokes, especially when the BYU EMT's came. They started checking out my ankle, gave me a little baggy when I got nauseated and threw up (I had to tell them to hurry because they were taking their time and I was ready to hurl on them), and checked my blood pressure 3 times (twice by machine and once by hand because according to the machine my blood pressure was low). It was kinda entertaining especially when Melissa had to keep telling them how to do stuff and after they left, re-wrapped my ankle because they didn't do it right.

We went to two different Urgent Care facilities. (The first one wouldn't take our insurance. I don't know how they can get away with that.) Anyways, they took some x-rays and decided that I only sprained it. They gave me crutches, which I used that night and and in the morning for class. That was enough for me. I decided that I didn't want to use them anymore so now I just hobble around. Stubbornness at its best.

On a more serious note, the nice thing about being in Utah are the different kinds of service that you get to provide on a regular basis. While we were checking-in at the Urgent Care facility, a boy was brought in who couldn't breathe. The immediately brought him back and the mother obviously went with him with her other kids. After a few minutes, the mother came back in tears asking the receptionist if she could find someone to give a blessing. Thankfully, Ashton had some oil and he went back to help. I've never been so grateful for the priesthood and the gospel. I'm glad that we were there to help out that family. We don't know how the boy is doing, but there is the peace of knowing that whatever happens is God's will.

2 comments:

Jen Bowen said...

That's so cool about you guys being there at the same time so Ashton could give a blessing. Gotta love Utah. I was picturing this happening in Colorado and the lady probably would have just gotten a blank stare. Hopefully your ankle gets better. Let me know if you need a ride to class or something so you don't have to die on the ice.

Tara said...

I love the gospel! Sorry to hear about the ankle... great to know you'll be okay soon...