Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Pure Entertainment

If there's one thing that being on campus is good for, it's to watch people. In fact, it's one of my favorite hobbies. The things that people will do when they're with a group of people is amazing. Sometimes you find people who have no shame and don't need a group to make them feel more comfortable. They will express themselves regardless. Ashton and I entertain ourselves by finding something (or let's be honest someone doing something) funny while we're on campus. It makes for entertaining conversations later as we share what we found, but it makes for a good laugh while you're watching it happen.

One of my favorite places to watch people is in what's known as the CougarEat. It's basically a food court place on campus for starving students like myself to sit and eat and do some homework. At certain times of the day, it's a crowded place. Maybe it's because it's crowded, but you get some strange people doing some strange things or saying some strange things.

One of my favorites was a few weeks ago sitting in the CougarEat. I overheard a girl say on her phone "So, I almost burned down the apartment yesterday." (A great beginning to a conversation). I eavesdropped long enough to hear that the incident involved a candle and some Kleenex, which are apparently very flammable. Yeah, it made my day.

Another fun game, is watching the gestures and facial expressions people make while talking and creating a conversation out of it (this works especially well when you can't actually hear what people are saying). "What? You were attacked by wild monkeys yesterday?" "Look! I'm a midget." "I so, did not see that." "Uh oh, I think I just wet myself."

It might not be fair to watch people without their knowledge and mock them, but it sure is fun.

1 comment:

Stinson Family said...

hhmmmm. You should have enough funny experiences from your childhood to last you quite awhile. It is fun to watch people. The mall is always a good one.
I've also done something stupid and stop and looked around to see if anyone saw me do it. At least I provided a little humor for someone. -Josiah