Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Battle wounds

Last night Ashton and I had a soccer game. I was going to bring my camera so that I could take pictures. I was hoping that we'd have enough girls so that I could take it easy and not play as much. Yeah, that didn't happen. I called around and we couldn't get an extra girl signed up to play. They were all sick.

I should explain intramural co-ed soccer rules as far as girls go. There are 6 players that are allowed to play on the field, not including the goalie. Of those 6, 3 of them can be boys, but you can only have 3 boys on the field at one time. So the rest of the players have to be girls. You have to have at least 2 girls in order to not forfeit. They even make it worth 2 points when a girl scores for a couple of reasons: so the boys will play nicely and pass the ball and also to make it worthwhile to have more girls. Personally, I think that it's rather lame. I'd rather have people play and pass to me because I'm good and not because it's worth more points if I score.

We normally only have 3 girls that play, which kinda stinks because us girls don't get a sub. Last night, one of the girls got sick so we only had 2. So, I had to play and as a team, we had to play a man down. Hence, no camera and no pictures.

There would have been some great pictures, too. We play inside on turf, which is complete with fake dirt, too (little black rubber balls). The fake dirt gets everywhere. Pants, shoes, socks all get fake dirt stuck to it. Within the first few minutes, I was tripped up and did a nice face plant complete with sliding on this stuff. That would have made a nice picture. My shirt came up a bit and my stomach got scrapped up. The worst part was that a lot of fake dirt got down my shorts. I didn't have time to pick it all out so I kept playing and waited until we got home to do something about it.

It was a miserable game. We held them off until the end of the second half. Darn cherry pickers. Our goalie Lance (my brother-in-law) did a great job saving as many goals as he could, but there's not much you can do when the other team is cherry picking and they have an extra player. I almost lost it a couple of times and punched someone. It wouldn't have done much good if I had gotten thrown out of the game so I just glared at people and thought about what I'd do to them if they ever met me in a dark alley. I've never been thrown out of a game before. I don't think I've even gotten a yellow card. I might have to try it sometime.

At least I got some good battle wounds.

1 comment:

Stinson Family said...

Cherry pickers are annoying. Throwing an elbow or two is good revenge. You aren't being aggresive enough unless you've been carded a few times. You have to make them scared of you and frankly your size isn't doing that. hehehe