Monday, June 30, 2008

Under Pressure

With Ashton out of a job right now, there has been some push for me to get a job from well-meaning friends and family. It makes sense right? I'm done with school, besides needing to finish up my online class, and so I would be the perfect candidate to go out and get a job. Although it makes a certain kind of sense to my head, my stomach sinks whenever I hear someone telling me that I should get a job.

It's not that I'm lazy and don't want to work. I enjoying being busy and doing that kind of work. I mean growing up, I had the same summer job since I was 10 or 11 years old until last summer. There's no way I would have stuck with it if I didn't like what I did.

So, what's the problem? Well, it's the type of job that I'd have to do. The majority of the jobs that I could get nearby I would hate....seriously hate. I don't think I'd enjoy bagging groceries, flipping burgers, making pizza, or anything of that sort...and let's face it, all my hard work to get back into shape and lose the extra chub would be lost. If I did get a job bagging groceries, or anything like that, I'd probably count down the days until I could quit from day 1. What fun is that? If I have to get a job, I'd want it to be something that I at least like doing.

Yes, yes...the voices in my head are screaming all kinds of old sayings. Most particularly the saying about how we all have to do things that we don't want to keeps re-surfacing. I'd like to believe, and sincerely do, that if it came down to it, I'd take any job that came my way and would do my best to be happy about it.

So, what would be my ideal job? Who knows? I've never really made a plan B in case my plan A fell through. It'd be nice to be able to do something with landscaping or photography seeing as I love doing both. That would probably be a job that I could enjoy and look forward to going to. I could probably do multiple things all at the same time since I enjoy multitasking even though it's stressful sometimes.

Guess we'll just see what happens.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved my job working in a grocery store. I did it all during high school and for a time after. I rotated through all of the departments for variety. My favorite was bagging up front. I liked walking old ladies to their cars.

Nowadays I not only buy the stuff, but I have to check and bag it too!! I don't like providing my own customer service.

Good luck!!

Heather said...

Do you have the opportunity around there to use your degree? Or what about a nanny position, they pay great and can be fun (we will give you a reference). If we had the money we would pay you.

AL said...

Nanny positions are great! ; ) If you find a great family then it can lead to wonderful opportunities and great benefits...

Anonymous said...

So, now I'm interested...

Try a list of 100 things. I'd love to read what you come up with. It took me just under a month to get mine finished. It's not easy but once I got rolling it was pretty easy. Had to tame it down a bit though. I get a little carried away sometimes. :)

Juanita said...

I heard the job market is bad...What kind of remark is that? I wish I could send you words of encouragement but all I can say is that I can relate! I am Qualified dang it! I have applied to 15 places, had 4-5 call backs, 1 rejection, and 2 interviews. If I had no virtue I may result to selling myself...
On E-bay or to the fast food industry. Just kidding...and good luck.
(I saw your blog on Heather and Jacob's whose blog was on Tara Nielsen's)